There are several flat irons available in the market, but only some make the cut to the best list. There are several things a flattening iron should offer apart from its styling abilities. It should be safe to use, should not damage your hair, should be easy to carry, etc. The following is a brief buying guide and product reviews of some of the best flat irons.
Things to Consider before Buying
The following are the things to consider to find the best flat iron:
There are a few different types of flat irons you can choose from. Depending on your hair type and quality, a specific type of flat iron may be a better fit for you. The following are some of the many types of flat irons:
Ceramic Flat Iron
Ceramic flat irons have ceramic plates that help to distribute the heat evenly. These flat irons are especially useful if you have wavy or slightly curly hair. A ceramic flattening iron will help you keep your hair ‘tame’ and straighten it out or settle your hair if you so wish. If you have frizzy hair, the iron will straighten your hair out but you will need extra care, like a serum or a conditioner, to ensure your hair stays smooth and glossy. There is a possibility that the ceramic will start peeling off after repeated use, making the iron not as durable as its counterparts in the market.
Ionic Flat Iron
Flat irons with ionic technology are good for trapping moisture in the hair. Your hair will remain shiny and silky. This type of iron is good for a variety of hair types, from frizzy, to dry, curly, straight, coarse, wavy, etc. With certain types of hair — like fine or brittle hair — the temperature will need to be controlled.
Tourmaline Flat Iron
In tourmaline flat irons, the plates have tourmaline dust applied on them. These tourmaline-coated plates produce negative ions and require lesser heat to do their job. A tourmaline flattening iron is also suitable to use on a variety of hair types.
Titanium Flat Iron
Titanium flat irons are similar to tourmaline flat irons in terms of the benefits they offer. However, titanium flattening irons may have a little more to offer. They do produce negative ions and heat up quite quickly while requiring not as much heat as other types of flat irons. Titanium flat irons are suitable to be used on any hair type. A good titanium iron may cost a little more than an average iron, though.
Different types of flat irons may fall in different price ranges. For example, as mentioned above, a good titanium flat iron may be expensive, whereas a ceramic flat iron may be less expensive. Depending on the type, the versatility of the appliance may differ too. For example, titanium flat irons are good for a variety of hair types while ionic and ceramic flat irons may be restricted to certain hair types. This versatility may affect the price too.
Different types of flat irons may use different technology. While some use infrared heat, others coat the plates with certain material (like ceramic) for even heat distribution. The ionic flat irons, for example, utilize ionic technology which is good for trapping moisture in the hair. Different flat irons have different things to offer — the type of technology you want to invest in will depend on what the benefits of that technology are for your hair type.
Best Flat Irons
The following is a product review of some of the best flat irons that can curl hair, straighten and style hair. They have been chosen based on the buying guide depicted above:
Amika Confidante Moisture Maintenance Styler, 2.25 Lb
The Amika Confidante Moisture Maintenance Styler is great for heating your hair evenly without causing damage or over-drying your hair. The infrared light beam locks in moisture in your hair and prevents it from frizzing. The ion projector is responsible for sealing the cuticles with negative ions, in turn also reducing the amount of heat the appliance draws. The following are some of the features the product has to offer:
- The tourmaline-infused plates deploy iRED Beam technology which carries the heat deeper into the hair.
- The iron uses infrared technology to preserve moisture and prevent over drying.
- The ion-projector is meant for sealing the hair cuticles and transferring negative ions into the hair.
- Every time you turn the flat iron on, the projector keeps generating new ions.
- The iRED Beam technology ensures that the style is long lasting.
- The flat iron keeps the hair smooth and moisturized despite the heat.
- The negative ions produced by the ion projector seals the cuticles and protects your hair.
- “Honestly, I have used this iron in the salon for 2 years and don’t have anything bad to say about it, though some may find the price tag a bit high. For a professional like me, it’s worth every penny.” – Jes
This product is available on Amazon.com.
The LumaBella Keratin Dual Touch Styler provides high-quality heat that protects your hair from damage while also giving them the sleekest and smoothest look. The ceramic plates are infused with keratin micro-conditioners which are passed onto the hair to maintain a gloss and shine. The plates also have an embedded heat sensor which can detect if the hair is being exposed to excessive heat and adjust the temperature accordingly. The following are some of the features the product has to offer:
- The smart heat sensors in the plates are in place to detect if the hair is being overheated. The sensor adjusts the heat accordingly.
- The keratin micro-conditioners infused in the plate leave the hair looking shiny and silky.
- There are five different heat settings you can choose from, ranging from 300º F to 450° F.
- The turbo boost setting can set the heat to the highest setting in just a few seconds.
- The smart heat sensors make it a safe appliance to use on hair.
- The keratin micro-conditioners protect your hair.
- The ceramic heats up the plates evenly.
- The five different heat settings allow you to experiment with a variety of styles.
- The turbo boost setting is ideal for when you have to style your hair on short notice.
- Some users complained that the plates did not slide down their hair easily.
- Some users complained that the plates were not durable.
Chi Pro G2 Digital Titanium Infused Ceramic Flat Iron
With a sleek design and advanced technology, this hair iron has titanium infused with ceramic plates which increases its durability and allows it to glide smoothly over your hair. There is also a digital temperature reading on a color-coded LCD screen which offers greater control over the temperature setting. You can set the temperature, for fine, medium and coarse hair, up to 425°F. The features the product has to offer are:
- Durable titanium plates infused with ceramic.
- The ceramic coating allows the plates to glide smoothly down your hair, no snags.
- There is a color-coded LCD screen which displays the temperature.
- You can set the temperature up to 425°F.
- The smooth glide of the ceramic-coated plates offer an easy experience.
- The titanium plates are extra durable.
- The LCD screen makes it easier to regulate the temperature and be in control of the process.
- Some users complained that it was not as effective on thick hair.
- Some users complained that the temperature keeps changing automatically and does not stay at the set temperature.
Xtava Professional Infrared Hair Straightener
The Xtava Professional Infrared Hair Straightener, as the name suggests, deploys infrared technology in the plates, which helps to tame all the frizz. With this flat iron, your hair will look sleek, shiny and smooth! You can pick between 10 different settings which are easy to control, thanks to the guidance of the LCD digital display. The plates are extra wide which maintain even heat for safe styling. It also comes with a heat-resistant travel case so you can carry the flat iron on all your trips, be it business or pleasure. There is also an auto shut-off and lock feature. The following are some of the other features the product has to offer:
- The infrared technology tames frizzy hair and prevents static.
- There is a two-inch wide, ceramic tourmaline floating plate which glides easily even through the coarsest hair.
- There are 10 different temperature settings, ranging from 265°F – 445°F, which are accessible on an LCD digital screen,.
- There is a 90-second rapid heat up technology and also a 60-minute auto shut off feature.
- The cord is 8-feet long and has a 360-degree swivel ability.
- Double clicking the power button enables the lock feature.
- The product comes with a two-year warranty.
- The hair remains smooth and non-frizzy.
- The plates are wide so you can get more volume of hair into one clasp.
- The 10 different settings allow you to style a variety of different hair types into a variety of styles.
- The heat-resistant case and the dual voltage plug are great for easy and convenient travel.
- The lock feature is a great safety touch.
- Some users complained that the flat iron was not as effective on thick, wavy hair.
- Some users complained that the effect of the iron did not last long and the hair went back to its natural state.
HSI Professional Ceramic Tourmaline Ionic Flat Iron
The HSI Professional Ceramic Tourmaline Ionic Flat Iron comes with one-inch solid ceramic tourmaline plates. The advanced infrared technology heats the plates evenly and protects your hair from burning. The product is suitable for all hair types, from fine to very coarse. The six-foot cord has 360-degree swivel ability so you can enjoy a tangle-free hair styling process. The hair iron also comes with an argan oil leave-in hair product for conditioning your hair and keeping it smooth. The following are some of the features the product has to offer:
- The one-inch solid ceramic tourmaline plates are high-quality and durable.
- The plates have eight micro-sensors with HeatBalance technology which help to distribute heat evenly.
- There are a few accessories that the hair iron comes with — heat-resistant gloves, HSI guide for styles, travel-size argan oil hair treatment and a travel case.
- The temperature ranges from 140°F up to 450°F.
- Dual voltage plug allows you to use the hair iron anywhere in the world.
- It has a six-foot, 360° swivel cord for flexibility when you are styling your hair.
- The accessories the hair iron comes with make it safe and convenient to use.
- The microsensors and HeatBalance technology allows the plates to heat evenly.
- The dual voltage plug allows you to use the hair iron anywhere in the world.
- Some users complained that the iron was not ideal for thick hair.
- Some users complained that the iron snagged the hair.
VOLOOM Classic 1 1/2 Inch Volumizing Hair Iron
This is a volumizing hair iron which can give your hair the appearance of having greater volume than it does. It is ideal for long, fine hair, thinning hair and layered hair. You no longer need to spend money on costly blowouts. The plates of the iron have alternating beveled platforms that are meant to create volume pockets at the bottom layers of your hair. The following are some of the features the product has to offer:
- The patented beveled platforms in the plates create volume pockets in the under layers of your hair.
- The volume is heat locked in the hair so the results can last for a long time or at least until your next wash.
- The hair iron is designed to be used near your scalp where the natural protective oils are located.
- The plates have a protective ceramic coating as well as ionic technology which seals hair cuticles with negative ions.
- You can get voluminous hair in just a few minutes.
- The device is used near the scalp where the natural oils protect the hair and is not meant to slide down to the tips where the hair tends to be weaker.
- The volume is heat locked in your hair so it can last you a long time.
- You can go longer days without a wash as your hair will look voluminous and bouncy even without the shampoo and chemicals.
- Some users complained that it created static on dry hair.
- Some users complained that the product was not durable.
Styling your hair can become an arduous and expensive affair if you do not have the right tools. All the products mentioned above are some of the best in the market. Whether you have coarse hair or really fine, silky hair, each of these products have something to offer for every hair type. So pick one that suits you best and live life in a stylish updo!