6 Steps To Washing Hair The Right Way
If you have ever blow dried your hair and noticed your roots still feel greasy and look dull chances are you need a new hair washing routine. I want you to starting focusing more on cleansing your scalp and less on shampooing your hair. Our scalp produces oils called sebum through the sebaceous glands. This is what causes hair to become oily, almost waxy feeling at the roots. Sometimes sebaceous glands can be overactive producing more sebum which can cause hair to become oily faster. Less active sebaceous glands can lead to a dry scalp. Other causes of a dry scalp can be, but are not limited to; taking too hot of a shower, over coloring your hair, or using the wrong shampoo.
So whether you have overactive sebaceous glands or you scalp is as dry as the Sahara desert; the health of your scalp will determine the health of your hair and will ultimately lead to happier ends results when styling your hair.
- Make sure you are using the proper shampoo for your hair texture. If you have fine hair use a volumizing shampoo or a thickening shampoo. If your hair is dry use a shampoo for dry hair. Curly hair? use a curly hair shampoo, Oily hair? use a shampoo for oily hair, so on and so forth.
- If it’s been a few days since you last shampooed or your roots get oily quickly, starting working the shampoo on your scalp before getting your hair wet. This will help to start break-down oils and hair product.
- Once you have worked shampoo all over your scalp get your hair wet and continue to work up a lather all over focusing on really scrubbing your scalp. Get behind your ears, the nape of your neck, and all around your hairline.
- To shampoo your ends lightly push the shampoo from your scalp down to your ends. Don’t rub your hair to hard this actually can cause damage. Just lightly move the shampoo through midshaft and ends.
- Rinse and repeat. It’s on the shampoo labels for a reason. Keep adding water as you are scrubbing to help get a good lather throughout your scalp instead of adding more shampoo. Shampooing twice cleanses better and is more efficient than using a bunch of shampoo and only washing once.
- Make sure you rinse out all the shampoo.
Washing hair doesn’t have to be complicated, but it has to be done right. Check out Conditioning Hair The Right way to learn the next step to get the hair you have always wanted.