No one knows your hair better than you. But we all have some bad habits that can cause damage to our lovely locks. Here are some examples and how to fix them.
1. Over using heat tools, and not using a heat protector when styling
“Hot tool” is a term for anything that’s used to apply heat to your hair. Some examples include:
When using heat tools you are changing the shape of your hair by altering the disulfide bonds that hold your hair together. Without these bonds, your hair would snap off when you tried to style it. It’s important to use a heat protector when styling with hot tools to protect these bonds. I know hot tools can get addicting, but the less you use them the less you will damage your hair. But ALWAYS USE A HEAT PROTECTING STYLING PRODUCT like:
- Oribe Soft Lacquer heat styling hair spray (protects the hair and leaves it soft and shiny)
- Moroccanoil Heat Styling Protection
- Paul Brown Hawaii Thermal Power Styling Serum
2. Pulling your hair back when its wet
When hair is wet, it is in its weakest state. Water breaks down the hydrogen bonds and when your hair dries hydrogen bonds reform and strengthen. Pulling your hair back when wet puts stress on these bond while they are in its weakened state.
3. Over highlighting
When you highlight your hair, you are opening your hair cuticle. You are removing necessary proteins that are important to the main structure of your hair. Our hair is mostly made from fibrous structural proteins consisting mainly of keratin. Make sure your when your colorist is highlighting your hair they do not overlap new hair lightener over previous lightened hair. Use a reconstructing shampoo and conditioner at home.
Reconstructing Shampoos & Conditioners
- Davines NouNou Shampoo & Conditioner
- Moroccanoil Moisture Repair Shampoo & Conditioner
- Oribe Shampoo for Brilliance & Shine
- Living Proof Restore Shampoo & Conditioner
Tip about protein- Don’t overdo it on the protein (and you can). The tip is once your hair feels better stop using a protein shampoo & conditioner switch to a moisturizing shampoo & conditioner. When you have too much protein your hair can’t hold onto moisture. To have healthy hair you need a good balance of both protein and moisture.
Moisturizing Shampoos & Conditioners
- Davines MoMo Shampoo & Conditioner
- Moroccanoil Hydrating Shampoo & Conditioner
- Oribe Shampoo for Moisture & Control
3. Getting keratin treatments too often
Getting a keratin treatment too often can over doing it on protein. Since are hair is made up of keratin (which is a protein), doing to many keratin treatments a year is going to put too much protein in your hair and cause it to snap off and become dry. Use a keratin shampoo, or sulfate free shampoo. Keratin treatment can be expensive so we want them to help our hair not harm.
- Moroccanoil Smooth Shampoo & Conditioner
- Coppola Complex Shampoo & Conditioner
- Keratin Complex Shampoo & Conditioner
4. Not getting a trim
Ladies we may not want to but we must. Getting a trim is very important for the health of your hair. If you have split ends, by not getting them cut off the split ends will travel up your hair shaft causing breakage all throughout your hair until it breaks off. If you are someone who highlights, colors, or does any chemical process to your hair you should make sure you get a trim every 6-8 weeks. If you don’t do chemical processes or you don’t use heat tools to often you can stretch it a little longer, just make sure you do go see your stylist at least 5-8 times a year for a trim.
5. Washing too often
Washing your hair too often can strip your hair of its natural oils. Try to skip a day between washes. If you can go more than a day go for it. Using a dry shampoo can get you through the days of not washing your hair. They even make dry conditioner spray to help refresh your ends. Awesome!
- Kevin Murphy Fresh Hair
- Moroccanoil Dry Shampoo made for light or dark hair.
- It’s a 10 Dry shampoo
- It’s a 10 Dry Conditioner
- Oribe Soft Dry Conditioner
It’s almost summer and swimming is awesome. But beware of the damage the pool and ocean can cause your locks. A little secret is get your hair wet and spraying a little leave-in-conditioner like Paul Brown Treat Elite before getting into the water. I love this spray because it’s great for your hair & skin. Spray it all over. You can even use it to set your makeup. Do a treatment after swimming since chlorine and salt water can make your hair dry.
- Kerastase Oleo-Fusion Intensive Nutritive Treatment. (Amazing treatment!)
- Living Proof Perfect Hair Day Night Cap. (Genius Product!)
- Moroccanoil Smooth Treatment. (Soft and Smooth!)
I know the one thing we all love about the ocean is that it gives you that awesome beach hair. I will tell you how to achieve this look without all of the damaging side effect the ocean can bring. Follow this link to the DIY natural beach spray.