If you want to experiment with curly hair, hot rollers are one of the best ways to get natural, bouncy curls. There are several types of hot rollers available in the market which offer a variety of different features. How do you know which one to pick? The following is a brief buying guide for the best hot rollers in the market.
Types of Hot Rollers
There are a few different types of hot rollers you could consider. Before you make a choice, look at all your options. The following are some types that are popular.
Dry Heat Rollers
Dry heat rollers are typically kept inside a metal container. The metal container is connected to electricity, which heats the metal lining inside the rollers. This makes the rollers warm but not hot so you can use them with ease. The heat that emanates from the roller is from the metal lining inside it.
Dry rollers are versatile and typically have several different heat settings. They are quicker to use and also transfer negative ions into your hair, which keeps your hair smooth and also seals the cuticles which lock the moisture into your hair.
Wet Heat Rollers
Wet heat rollers typically work with steam. The container that they are placed in generates steam, which the rollers use as a source of heat. The moisture from the rollers continues to evaporate as the rollers sit in your hair and also moisturizes your hair while curling them. If your hair is difficult to curl, steam rollers are a better option than dry rollers. The curls from steam rollers also tend to last longer.
Ribbed/Flocked Hot Rollers
Ribbed rollers are the traditional rollers which have ribs on the body which hold your hair in place. These rollers are easy to remove once your hair has been curled.
Flocked rollers are a newer style which has a smooth body, instead of a ribbed texture, which holds your hair in place. Flocked rollers are said to hold your hair in place better than ribbed rollers.
For a deeper dive into this topic check out: Types of Hair Rollers
Hot Roller Materials
There are two common materials hot rollers are made of:
Ceramic and Ceramic-Infused Rollers
Ceramic and ceramic-infused rollers are typically dry heat rollers. The metal lining inside the rollers, which emanate heat and curl the hair, are made of ceramic or are ceramic infused. Sometimes the metal is coated with precious materials like tourmaline or titanium.
Ceramic and ceramic-infused rollers distribute even heat to the hair and keep it undamaged. They are also said to release negative ions which keeps your hair looking shiny and seals the cuticles.
Foam rollers are most commonly wet heat rollers or steam rollers. The foam absorbs the steam better and can pass the moisture onto your hair. They can be used on damp hair as well and in fact, you can sleep in them too. They also cause minimum damage to your hair.
Hot Roller Heat Settings
You should also be aware of what the heat settings are on the hot rollers. If you have coarse, thick hair, you might require a hot roller that gets quite hot and stays hot for a long time. But if you have fine, thin or damaged hair, you may want to go for a set of hot rollers with variable heat settings.
Finally, before you set out to buy anything, narrowing down on a budget is important. While hot rollers may not be very expensive, some may be more pricey than others, depending on brand, quality, material, etc. Stick to your budget and let the above factors dictate an appropriate budget for you.
The Best Hot Rollers
T3 Volumizing Hot Rollers Luxe
One of the best hot rollers, and our #1 favorite at Blowout Studio, the T3 Volumizing Hot Roller set can help you create voluptuous curls and waves and also retain the natural shine of your hair. It comes with an advanced technology that ensures that each strand of hair gets a boost of volume, shape and mobility. The hair retains its natural shine and becomes even glossier than before, thanks to the hot rollers’ advanced technology. There is also a convenient indicator on each roller which lets you know when it is hot enough to be used. The following are some of the features the product has to offer.
- The T3 tourmaline technology releases negative ions, which seal the cuticles and lock the moisture into the hair, keeping your hair shiny and smooth.
- The high-power density heater in the roller heats up to 250°F within 3 minutes.
- The hot rollers self-regulate their wattage for temperature control.
- The flocked surface grips hold your hair better and also lends a velvet shine to your hair once the rollers have been removed.
- The set comes with a detachable cord.
- There are four 1.75” rollers, four 1.50” rollers and eight butterfly cups.
- There is also a travel tote for convenience.
- The tourmaline technology keeps your hair looking shiny and smooth.
- The roller can heat up to 250°F within 3 minutes.
- The rollers have a self-regulating ability so you can keep the temperature under control.
- The surface of the rollers have a flocked grip so the rollers sit well and tight on your head.
- There are eight rollers in two different sizes so you can experiment with a variety of styles.
- The travel tote is a convenient addition.
- Some users complained that the clips do not fit around the larger rollers.
- We also feel the clips are a little weak and don’t hold the roller tightly.
To be honest, the clips that come with this set are barely useable, but they can be supplemented with traditional roller clips, and we love the rollers enough that we think it’s worth it. Even with the issue with the clips, this is still our favorite hot roller set, and it’s also the best for hot rollers for long hair and the best hot roller set for thick hair. The reason being that this professional set gets hot enough to ensure the hair sets properly, though you will still want to use less hair per roller than you would if you had shorter or thinner hair. This is the key with any hot roller set when working with long and/or thick hair.
Infinitipro by Conair Instant Heat Ceramic Flocked Rollers
If you are looking to get dynamic and dimensional curls of different sizes and types, the Infinitipro by Conair Instant Heat Ceramic Flocked Rollers set is a great investment. There are 12 different temperature settings which are ideal if you want to have greater control over the temperature (especially for fine or damaged hair). The hot rollers also have a real ionic generator that helps to reduce frizziness. There are three roller sizes in the set, so you can do a variety of curls at once. There are also 20 plastic clips available with the set. The following are some of the features the product has to offer:
- There are 12 different temperature settings, making it suitable for all hair types.
- The rollers have a real ionic generators that transfer negative ions into your hair and reduce frizz.
- There are three roller sizes — small (¾ inch), medium (1 inch) and large (1 ¼ inches).
- There are 20 plastic clips.
- The hot rollers can heat up in two minutes.
- The roller set comes with a retractable cord.
- The 12 different heat settings make the hot roller set for all hair types, especially fine or damaged hair.
- The real ionic generators do a commendable job at reducing frizz.
- The three different roller sizes make it possible to create a variety of different styles.
- The rollers heat up in two minutes.
- Some users complained that the rollers did not heat up enough.
- Some users complained that the curls do not stay.
Caruso Professional Molecular 30-Piece Multiple Size Steam Hair Setter
This hot roller set is great for all kinds of hair. You can get the perfect spiral waves and curls that can last you for days. You can achieve the perfect curls in as little as 30 seconds if you blow dry your hair first and remove the extra moisture. The set comes with a styling guide, clips and a convenient carrying case too. There are five different sizes in this case. The following are some of the features the product has to offer:
- One of the best hot rollers sets, this product is suitable for all hair types.
- The curls can last you for days or until your next wash.
- The product comes with a styling guide, comb clips and a convenient carrying case.
- The set of 30 has five different sizes — petite rollers (6), small rollers (6), medium rollers (6), large rollers (6) and jumbo rollers (6).
- There are a wide variety of sizes you can pick from so you can get tight curls, as well as larger, bouncy curls with this set.
- The set comes with a styling guide, clips and also a convenient carrying case.
- The curls can last you for days.
- If you use the right curling technique and remove excess moisture, you can get the curls you want in 30 seconds.
- Some users with thick hair complained that the curls did not last long.
- Some users complained that the curling process requires too much blow drying.
Babylisspro Nano Titanium Roller Hairsetter
This professional 20-piece hot roller set and hair setter offers you several great styling options. You can create tight, old Hollywood curls and you can also have big, loose waves as if you were at the beach. The three different sizes allow you to cover a wide range of styles. You can even use all three sizes at once to create a natural, bouncy style. The following are some of the features the product has to offer:
- This professional hair setter has 20 pieces in one set.
- There are three different sizes of rollers — 6 small (3/4-inch), 6 medium (1-inch) and 8 large (1-1/4-inches) rollers.
- You can use multiple sizes at once to get natural, bouncy curls.
- The rollers work efficiently and cause minimum damage to your hair.
- There are 20 rollers of different sizes so you have ample options for the kind of curls you want.
- The three different sizes — small, medium and large – cover all the bases for the different types of hairstyles you want.
- The rollers cause minimum damage to hair, provided you are using them correctly.
- Some users complained that the rollers were too heavy.
- Some users complained that the jumbo-sized rollers did not stay in their hair.
Remington H1016 Compact Ceramic Worldwide Voltage Hair Setter
The Remington H1016 Compact Ceramic Worldwide Voltage Hair Setter has 20 velvety rollers which employ ionic conditioning. The set comes with exclusive J-clips, which hold the rollers in place even more securely. There are three different roller sizes and each size comes with color-coded clips. Each roller also has cool touch ends and the case has a ready indicator light which lets you know when you are good to go. The thermal wax core allows the rollers to retain heat for longer. The following are some of the features the product has to offer:
- Ionic conditioning reduces frizz and makes your hair look shiny and healthy.
- The exclusive thermal wax core of the rollers ensures that the heat lasts for a long time.
- The cool touch ends make it easy to handle the rollers.
- There are 20 velvety rollers in the set, in three different sizes — 3/4”, 1” and 1 1/4”.
- Each roller size has a color-coded clip.
- There are also exclusive J-clips for better grip and less creasing.
- The case has a ready indicator light so you know when the rollers are hot enough for use.
- The cool touch ends make it easy to handle.
- There are 20 velvety rollers in three different sizes so you can get curls of all kinds.
- The J-clip is a convenient addition and allows you a better grip on the rollers.
- The ready indicator makes the whole process a lot more convenient.
- Some users complained that the case does not have any place to store the pins.
- Some users complained that the cool touch ends also tended to get quite hot.
The products mentioned above are some of the best hot rollers available in the market. They have been picked in accordance with the buying guide described earlier. Each roller set has something to offer for different hair types. While some are ideal for medium-to-long hair, some work on all hair types. So, pick one according to your budget and have the best hair day!